Friday, March 30, 2007

Doing the Right Thing

So yesterday pretty much sucked. I've never had to do that before, and while it was peaceful and the right thing to do it was still hard. T did come in to say goodbye beforehand, but J opted not to. Everyone seemed to be okay until I came home alone. Then there was crying until well after bedtime.

I was trying to get them to go to sleep amid a fresh round of crying while J was upset because she was all alone. I tried to explain that her spirit, the thing that made Spare Spare wasn't there anymore. T pipes up from the bottom bunk, his voice full of tears: "But Mom, it wasn't her spirit that made her Spare. It was her DNA." Apparently I have a strict evolutionist on my hands.

So today we went to the craft store and got supplies to make a memory stepping stone for her. That is the project for the weekend. Everyone seems to have calmed down some - but T just told me that even if he seems happy now, he'll never get over it. There you go. My biggest fear is we have another 17 year old cat in the house, so in the not-too-distant future, we'll have to go through this again.

I did manage to do a little work today. I finally got to the crescendo in the first half of the book where my MC gets to say: "It's not the Jehovah's Witnesses, it's the cops." Really looking forward to the last half.

On this date: In 1981, President Regan is shot by John Hinckley Jr.

2 comments:

Mary Hershey said...

Dear Cyn,

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet kitty's passing. Man, such hard stuff.

Light and comfort for you all-
Mary

Linda D. (sbk) said...

It's so hard to say good bye to our precious pets. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

{{{hugs}}}}