Thursday, February 8, 2007

Warning: Rant Ahead

From Publisher's Lunch today:
Among dozens of new deal reports, true crime author Dianne Fanning tackles the bizarre case of astronaut Lisa Nowak.
I'm not sure whether to be repulsed or awestruck. This only happened the day before yesterday!

On another note, I have to get something off my chest. Has anyone out there seen the Nickelodeon show The Naked Brothers Band? Does it bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? The basic premise is that there are a bunch of little kids (ages about 8-11) who form this band in NYC and basically live like tiny rock stars. They run around in limos, dress like aging rockers (who does the wardrobe, the costumer from Spinal Tap?), sport fake tattoos and have groupies hanging all over them (most 8 year old boys I know don't want girls hanging all over them).

Besides the fact that the whole thing is driven by their whacked-out father who plays accordion in the "band", they can't sing at all and the songs are horrible. It's the complete "adultization" of these kids that bugs me the most. My kids have seen it a couple of times and think it's ok, but it has been plugged to death by the network which must have quite a stake in it's success. Every time I see it, I want to smack the doo-rag off the little one's head and stick him in the shower to scrub off those awful fake tattoos. Whew. I feel better now.

On this date: In 1915, the first full-length American motion picture Birth of a Nation opens.

No comments: