Monday, April 30, 2007

Why I Love My Town

Living in Northern California has it's drawbacks. Gas is ridiculously expensive for no good reason and don't even get me started on housing prices. A $600,000 house in my neighborhood is a serious fixer-upper. And despite the costs of living here, we are always fighting to keep the schools afloat and functioning. But...

On Friday, we went to see our local High School's production of Grease. Danny Zuko was black, Sandy was white. Frenchy was Asian, as was Marty. Patti was white, Cha Cha was Hispanic, Rizzo was black and the Pink Ladies and the T-Birds were all over the map. The big deal in all of this is that it wasn't a big deal at all. At the end, when the cast sang "You're the One that I Want" and the leads kissed, they all got a standing ovation (except from my boys who were covering their eyes in embarrassment). And that, in a nutshell, is why we put up with all of the other stuff.

On this date: In 1945, Adolf Hitler committed suicide.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Diversity is one of the things I miss about living in Italy, I must say. At the elementary school where I taught in northern Virginia, there were 30 languages represented (in a school of 600 students), and something like 120 languages spoken in the whole county. I miss that.