Monday, April 9, 2007

Bad Stuff and Good Stuff

As expected, the last editor who had it passed on my mid-grade Armadillo Season. I knew she was going to, and I knew that it needed an overhaul but it still feels like you've been punched in the stomach. Agent E is upbeat as always and still feels that it will find the right home which helps. I know what I'm going to change and how I'm going to streamline the story so I just need to buckle down and do it. Anytime I want to quit I go over to Verla Kay's message board and read the post from Jay Asher about how much he wanted to quit and stomp his cyber-feet over the unfairness of it all. This was...oh, less than a year before he got his mega six-figure two-book deal for his YA Thirteen Reasons Why which comes out this fall.

Speaking of Jay and the Discomermaids, my cool Newbery Jewels totebag came today.



If you want one of your own, head on over to cafepress and order it right away.

So that's one good thing that happened today. Also, TK2.0 is a regular kitten now, eating wet food and using the litterbox. Now, I love the big hairy dog, but I'm sorry, cats are so much smarter. I remember when BHD was a pup, standing out in the backyard at 2am in a freezing February rain waiting for him to do his business because it took forever for him to be house-trained. TK2.0? Figured out the litterbox in about a minute and a half. It looks like the folks that found him might not be able to keep him, so we're feeling out new homes. Anyone want a wonderful, sweet almost 5 week-old kitten?

DH, if you're reading this, don't panic. He's not staying.

On this date: In 1939, Marian Anderson sang at the Lincoln Memorial. (There's a great picture book about that called When Marian Sang.)

5 comments:

Robin L said...

Hey Cyn!

Poor babies on the rejection! I think Armadillo Season is a terrific title!! I'd pick it up on the strength of that alone.

Once upon a time, a NYT best selling author I know told me that every editor that passes on your mss is doing you a favor, because you're getting just that much closer to finding THE perfect editor who will love your book more than anyone else. And while the advice annoyed me greatlyat the time, I've come to see the wisdom in it, and so I share it with you. Theodosia didin't sell until the 10th or 11th editor saw it, and she was The PERFECT editor for it!

So here's sending you many Perfect Editor-of-your-own vibes.

CJ Omololu said...

You're an angel. I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that.

Natalie said...

Sorry to hear about the rejections, Cyn, but I think Robin is right. Aside from Jay, Debbie Garfinkle's STORKY went through something like 13 editors over 2 years (I think those are the right stats) and look at her now! Good luck on the revisions, and let me know if you need a fresh pair of eyes. :-)

Disco Mermaids said...

Thirteen Reasons Why was rejected, I believe, six times. And then, without doing any changes to it, three editors wanted it. Like your agent said, sometimes your manuscript is just waiting to find the right home.

- Jay

P.S. Sadly, the Newbery Jewels merchandise is no longer for sale...so consider your totebag a collector's item!

CJ Omololu said...

No more Newbery Jewels?!?!

Does that mean I can't use my tote because it will take away from it's eBay value once you all are famous writers?