Monday, September 22, 2008

Quotability

John Green had a nice post on his blog today containing numerous quotes. I loved them, but it made me even more aware of a major deficiency - I have a memory like a pair of fishnets after Burning Man. Not only can I never remember stellar quotes, I can never remember the name of the person who said it. I read something and I think, God, that is great, I'll remember it for sure. Two minutes later..pftt, it's gone. I keep that great writing quote by E.L. Doctorow on my blog only because I'll lose it otherwise.

The interesting thing is that, like most people, I'm great with lyrics. I just put together a new CD for the car (including my new favorite Pink song, but not - to his chagrin- including some heavy-metal garbage from Psychosocial which is J's current fav) and there I was, singing along to a Smith's song that I haven't heard for 20ish years.

It too, has some quotable moments: And if a double-decker bus, crashes into us...to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die. And if a ten ton truck, kills the both of us, to die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine. See, I did that from memory. That amazing quote from Maya Angelou (I think it was her) I read in a magazine last night...gone.

Maybe if you hum a few bars, it'll come to me.

On this date: In 1862, Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation.

No comments: