Monday, September 1, 2008

The Kidlit Community

I don't know what it's like in the world of adult writers, but the best thing about being a kidlit writer is the great community. Rather than every writer for themselves, everyone seems to bend over backwards to help, cheer and commiserate each other.

Thanks to my not-so-subtle kvetching on the blog, several other writers (thanks Debi and Maurene) have sent messages that have resulted in a couple of great leads for things I can do at home that don't stray too far from my likes and talents.

One of the best resources for kidlit writers is the Verla Kay writer board forums. Not only do the writers on that board have some great advice, they are soley responsible for getting my first book published as well as hooking me up with Agent E. My favorite (and occasionally the most painful) thread is "Good News" where people go to cheer on everything from finishing a book to getting a publishing deal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - writing might be a solitary experience, but it can't be done alone.

On this date: In 1985, the wreck of the Titanic was found.

No comments: