Sunday, March 29, 2009

Nickelodeon KID'S Choice Awards???


I spent part of yesterday at a memorial service for a 14 year old -something that should never, ever happen. I came home and curled up on the couch with one boy on either side just to get some kid time. They were watching the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards and while I was enjoying hanging out with them, one word kept coming out of my mouth - inappropriate!

Come on Nick! These are kids we're talking about, not tiny teenagers (and there is a difference, although that distinction seems to be lost on Nick execs). Pussycat Dolls gyrating on stage with very little in the way of clothing (I counted 6 bellybuttons between them) - inappropriate! Two of the nominees for best picture: The Dark Knight (NOT for little kids) and Iron Man (which was iffy, particularly the first 15 minutes). The winner for the best book: Twilight Series - inappropriate! How many nine year olds are (or should be) reading that series? This was what annoyed me in the 30 minutes I watched, but I'm sure there was more.

I'd get off my horse if these were the Teen Choice Awards, but they are aiming for the very preteen market between about 8 and 11 and so much of this was trying to make kids into tiny adults (don't even get me started on the Naked Brother's Band - I had a blog post lying around here about them a few years ago). I don't consider myself a prude or anything - I write edgy YA after all - but it's all a matter of audience and material and Nickelodeon is wildly off the mark. No slime for you.

On this date: In 1973, the last US troops pull out of Vietnam.

1 comment:

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

sorry about the litte girl:(