Sunday, July 8, 2007

Lea-aving On a Jet Plane...

Yes, the kids and I are winging our way to the Lone Star State to visit Grammy. There is really no other reason to go to Texas in July, and we only get to see her twice a year so we're off. I'm taking my current MS with me as everyone in the house goes to bed really early and with a two-hour time difference I should have a lot of quality alone time at night.

I've been thinking a lot about branding lately. No, get your minds out of the gutter - I mean branding as in a writer writing one particular type of book and becoming known for that one particular thing. So far, I'm not an adherent to this theory as I've got a picture book coming out, along with other PB in the works, one upper mid-grade that is just getting out into the world, a YA in progress as well as a proposal for a picture book biography. That is about as far from branding as you can get.

I met Megan McDonald (of Judy Moody fame) at a conference a year or so ago. She has written things all over the map from PBs to non fiction, and I just read that she's doing an American Girl gig. I did mention this concern about being all over the place in terms of writing and she didn't seem to feel that it is a liability - and for her it hasn't been.

It would be nice to have somebody say: Hmmm...I feel like reading _____. I wonder what Cynjay has come up with lately. I should go to the bookstore and find out. The trouble is, I have so many interests for so many age levels that right now it would feel more like pigeonholing than branding. I'll worry about it more after I've finished the YA. And then the MG series I've been tossing around. Oh, and the other picture book I want to touch up...

Not sure how much blogging I'll get done for the next week - we'll have to see what the tech situation is at Grams. Yee-haw!

On this date: In 1958, Kevin Bacon is born.

No comments: