Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wanted: Fairy Godwriter

I'm usually really good at making up my mind. What color to paint the house? Dark green, now go. Cabinets for the new kitchen. White, chosen in a matter of a minute and a half. But when it comes to figuring out what kind of writer I want to be, I've decided I need some help.

The ideal candidate would be able to determine the right direction as far as what kinds of things to write. I consider myself a pretty funny person, but my novels tend to be not laugh-out-loud funny, although there is humor even in dire situations. When I read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson or 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, I think I want to continue to be a writer with issues - deep, thoughtful and with clear meaning. And then I'll read something like the fun princess book written by my own crit partner Lindsey (I got to read it for a critique - you all have to wait until 2010) and think about how fun it was and that maybe I should write something that is pure joy. I'm not a fantasy fan, but every now and then I think I'd love to write some sort of magical realism story. And don't even get me started on writing for younger kids - fun tween or mid-grade books.

Agent E is a fabbo agent and I'm so glad to have her, but just like my contractor when it came to picking out tile, she is pretty hands-off in the decision department. What I want is for my Fairy Godwriter to point to an idea and say "Yes. That one. Write this. It'll be great." Agent E is more like, "Is it calling you? Are you feeling it?" Which is what she is supposed to do, but I want someone to make the decisions for me. The Fairy Godwriter would also be able to make plot decisions and be sure that they are the right way to go. They would go over the manuscript and point to places where the new plot points should be inserted and they would seamlessly mesh with the rest of it.

Is that too much to ask?


On a completely separate topic, I got bobbleheaded. On the website, it actually moves, which is even funnier. Still, I look good.




On this date: In 1965, the Rolling Stones Satisfaction tops the charts.

2 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

Wait, did you just say I have issues???

Okay. You're right...

- Jay

CJ Omololu said...

I've had dinner with you Jay. Enough said ;)