Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Shape of Things to Come

So I had my first experience with the whole boy-girl dichotomy today. A sample of things to come, no doubt. Mine is always the house with a bunch of kids who don't belong to me hanging around and eating my food. Today, two of the girls came in giggling and confessed that one of them had a "crush" on my ten-year old, J. Unfortunately, the first word out of my mouth was, "why?" Which set them off on another fit of giggling.

To me, he is an overhaired, stinky, dirty boy. Apparently he has other qualities that are being noticed by ten year old girls in his class. Eventually, I said that her having a crush on him sounded just fine to me. Then, she confided that he actually liked another girl in their class. News to me.

I think we need to sit down and have a talk. Not that talk - we actually had that talk two years ago - but the talk where we tell him how to treat girls and what will happen to him if he doesn't. It wasn't all that many years ago I was on the dating scene (actually, it was quite a few years ago, but it seems like yesterday) and I remember wishing that more moms had discussed some of the finer points with their sons. Now it's up to me.

The cool thing is that both the crusher and the crushee are great girls - smart, polite, just the kind of girls I always hoped he'd bring home. I just figured it would be a few years from now.

On this date: In 1947, the UN voted for the partition of Palestine.

No comments: