Tuesday, November 27, 2007

1k Per Day....That's All We Ask

I'm so excited! The new YA I'm writing involves a very specific mental disorder and I've been lurking around on websites for children of people who suffer from it. I sent an email to the website introducing myself and what I'm doing. Well, that put me in touch with two fabulous women who are very excited about the project and have agreed to be my sounding board, readers and the people who make sure that I keep the story real. It's a very emotional experience, and I feel like I've been entrusted to tell the collective story of the children who live with this problem. Heavy indeed.

On another note - I've found the secret to writing novels. Seriously. I read about this method and scoffed - I remember reading it out loud to DH and laughing at how ridiculous it is. Except this guy was right and it's very simple. Here it is:
When you're working on a book, write 1,000 words every day. Every day. No taking off for holidays, vacations, or illness. 1k every day. At some point - be it 5am or midnight, you have to sit down and write at least 1,000 words (I write down the running word count on the back of my notebook.) Often it ends up being more, but if all you can manage is 1k, it's all good. I think the original theory was to write for a specific time (3 hours I believe), but this adaptation is working for me just fine. So did I stay up until 1am on Thanksgiving so that I could get in my 1k? You betcha.

On this date: In 1942, Jimi Hendrix was born.

1 comment:

Miss Awesome said...

Um... I've got to work on getting the first 5 words written before I can get the other 995 for the day.