Thursday, July 31, 2008

Flip Floppin'

I've been feeling very floppy today. Not this kind of flopping:



or this kind:



but more the kind where I don't quite know what to do with myself. I've (hopefully) sent the final draft of the YA to Agent E, and I haven't started the next book yet. Starting a new project takes a lot of stewage, where you hang out and stew about parts of the the next book, suss out characters and plots and generally pick up ideas, examine them and see if they are going to work. This is frustrating, but necessary work, and I can't write a word until things have gelled for awhile. So far, all I have are some vague ideas. And a title.

Also, all of the cool kids are going to SCBWI in LA, the big, fat writer's conference that starts tomorrow. I'm staying home. That's me, the ant all the way on the left who ISN'T going to the party:



As DH observed, when he found me wandering aimlessly through the house - I don't do nothing very well.

On this date: In 1975, Jimmy Hoffa disappeared.

Thanks to flickrers: stuckincustoms, damiel and tarotastic.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm sure your flopping will flip soon (oh that was bad...grin) and you will be right back to writing something wonderful again...grin...

Anonymous said...

Ideas and a title sound good to me...happy pre-writing! hope it gets less frustrating soon.

CJ Omololu said...

Thanks guys. I've started writing character sketches and 'flap copy' for the next book, which always helps me focus in on the main themes. And so it begins...