Monday, July 7, 2008

Dreading It

Seven o'clock this morning found oldest son prone on the rug in front of the kitchen sink, hands between knees murmuring "I don't want to go" punctuated with the odd "You're mean" and then the old favorite "You're ruining my entire summer." Not unexpected, as today was an example of something he dreads: A New Experience. Also known as Day Camp. Now, this was not a completely new experience as he attended the very same camp in the very same place last year. Not that it matters apparently.

He didn't want to shower, didn't want to eat breakfast and at one point was so in the way that I had to take the end of the rug and scoot him to another part of the kitchen so that I could finish packing the lunches. All the while he was murmuring epithets under his breath. After a lot of effort (and several threats), I got him reasonably dressed and in the car, although the accompanying symptom of a stomach ache was starting to appear. Literally dragged him to the check in line for camp when his voice brightens behind me, "Hey look, it's Kevin!" and he goes loping down the hill to meet his friend with barely a wave back at me.

I can't wait for the last two weeks of summer so we can experience this daily about starting middle school.

On this date: In 1984, Prince's When Doves Cry hits number one.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I remember the exact same thing happening with my son...If I remember correctly, I had to go home and take a nap after getting him ready for and getting him to day camp...and then when I went to pick him up, it was the same thing only in reverse...he didn't want to come home because he was having sooo much fun...argh...grin...