Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Revolutions

I thought I'd start off the New Year with a couple of comments that actually relate to books for a change. Even though I'm in the middle of writing a YA (or maybe because of it), I've been reading MG. Both of these books deserve to win the Newbery this year, and if neither of them get it, I'll be disappointed.

Both of them have great writing, memorable scenarios and characters and most importantly, they are both actually for kids and not the grownups who determine which book gets the prizes. The fact that they both appeal to adults as well is a nice bonus. I "know" Linda Urban from the Blueboards (which means I don't really know her at all), but that has nothing to do with how much I liked her book. My agent recommended Leepike as inspiration for Armadillo and she was right on.

I'm not officially doing resolutions partly because I think they just set you up for failure and partly because I'm lazy. Let's just say that right up there for 2008 is the knowledge that if I spend one more Christmas with the same cr**py kitchen without the long-awaited remodel, heads will roll. And if I'm sitting here on Jan 1, 2009 without having sold a novel, then I'm REALLY not making any resolutions next year.

On this date: In 1863, Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation

No comments: