Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ode To an Appliance, Part II

My allegiance to the humble Dustbuster is well known. Now I have to add another appliance that has become an indispensable part of my life.



"So what?" you may say. "It's just a phone." But that is where you would be wrong. It is a phone that has caller ID! I will admit that I am not an early adopter of technology - I just got a cell phone last fall, and honestly I rarely carry it (in fact, I'm not sure where the thing is at the moment). I usually hang back to see what sticks and buy some piece of technology when I get around to it. The caller ID has changed my life.

As of this month, I'm making enough at freelancing to not have to go and get a real J-O-B. Yay. The problem is that when I'm home working and the phone rings I often find myself in the middle of a long conversation when I really should be typing away. Plus, the answering machine was all the way in the bedroom, so if I did let the phone ring, I would have to get up and go in there to listen to the message. All very disruptive.

Now with the amazing caller ID, I can see who is on the phone and decide whether I'm going to pick it up. The answer is generally "no" while I'm working, unless it is the kid's school, or DH if I'm in a good mood ;) Or Agent E (it even flashes her name!). Or someone from a 212 area code.

But when you call now and I don't pick up the phone, don't automatically think that I'm sitting there looking at your name on the display and deciding to let it go to voicemail. No, I'm probably out walking the dog or something. Or, I might be sitting there looking at your name. Do you have a 212 area code?

On this date: In 1939, the first televised Major League Baseball game.

1 comment:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I can't survive without call display!! If the phone rings 10 times a day, at least 3 or 4 of those are phone solicitors, 2 are our niece's ex-boyfriend, and in the summer, the rest are likely the kids' friends wanting to play.

I just don't bother answering anymore. But if I see that it's someone who the kids would want to talk to, I yell at them to get the phone. If they don't pick up, eh, not my problem.

Twisted? uh huh.