Thursday, August 5, 2010

The LitChicks: THE HUNGER GAMES & FRANKIE LANDAU BANKS




Despite summer camp and the end of the summer reading program at the library, the girls have come through for us once again. Other than editing 'spoilers' the words are theirs.


Portia’s Pick:

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins


Cynthia (In a sort of why-do-I-even-bother-asking-she-is-obviously-gonna-say-yes type voice) : So, you guys have read The Hunger Games, right? The first two books?
Me (In a sort of oops-I-probably-should-have-read-that-but-I-didn't-and-I-guess-that-what-a-mistake type voice) : No...?
Cynthia (In a oh-my-gosh-what-has-this-child-been-doing-has-she-been-wallowing-in-a-state-of-never-ending-woe-for-months type voice) : You haven't? Oh, we can't allow that! Here, let me get you the first book, you have to read it, and where did I put that second one? Maybe Jaron was reading it. Jaron!!?? Where is the second Hunger Games book? Portia has not read it!!! [Cynthia is probably thinking somewhere along the lines of "Oh, the horror!" at this point.]
Me (In a sheepish voice) : Yeah, I guess I'll read it soon......*nervous laughter*

As you can see, obviously, not reading this book is a serious crime committed among book lovers, and we can only imagine what kind of serious consequence must go with it when we're found out. I was ignorant of this law in the past, but no more!! We must all read this great book of survival, cunning, and fake love.

So, to start off this book, you need a little background. The book, The Hunger Games takes place in the future world in the area of Panem. Panem is controlled by a central capitol and rules the surrounding twelve districts. A few years back, there were thirteen districts, but District 13 rose up in rebellion against the capitol and was obliterated. Now there are only 12 districts, and the capitol has established the annual hunger games to keep them in line.

The Hunger Games is an annual event in which one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18 is randomly selected from each district (making 24 in all) to participate in a survival game streamed onto live TV. The tributes are placed in a capitol selected arena with a few items of food and camping gear and sent out to live in the wild until all are dead but one. Tributes can die from starvation, dehydration, exhaustion, animals, elements, fire, drowning, and the hand of other tributes. To win is a great honor, and no one from District 12 has won for a few decades, being the poorest district, and the least honored.

During this year's drawing, Katniss's sister, Prim, was chosen for the Hunger Games. In a state of desperation, Katniss stepped forward to volunteer to take Prim's place. She vows to win for Prim and her mother, left poor and without husband or father back in District 12 watching Katniss on TV. The boy tribute she travels with is Peeta--the baker's son.

Peeta and Katniss go through all of introductory training and interviews hoping to impress the crowd and win sponsors. They start the games in a frenzy of escape and start on the run. Katniss allies with a young girl, Rue, to escape the older and experienced tributes until {rest of paragraph redacted as to omit spoilers}.

That sounds pretty easy, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading this, hoping that nothing happened. When X died, I cried, and I kept hoping that everybody was okay, or that she wasn't seen, or that this person died, and this person lived, and all this stuff. The one thing that was a little disappointing was the ending. In the last few pages, Katniss tells XX that although he actually likes her, she pretended to like him back. XX was very hurt right as the book ended. I was sooo sad! Why would she say that when throughout the book, she feels like she actually does like him quite a bit! I know this is a series of books, so there has to be a problem in the upcoming books, but being the sap that I was, I wished that the problem would wait until the next book. Oh well. Next time.

Now I will just have to go and get the second book so I can find out what happens next because I really want to know! I hope Jaron isn't still reading it......:) And the third installment, Mockingjay, is coming out this month, I believe. The 24th? Be on the lookout! Happy reading!



Liesl’s Choice:

THE DISREPUTABLE HISTORY OF FRANKIE LANDAU BANKS by: E. Lockhart




This book was really good but I was a tad confused in the beginning. It started with a letter that doesn’t make sense unless you read the book...funny how that works. One weird thing about this book that I don't know if I liked was that it was written in 3rd person but tried to convey Frankie’s feelings so it was like : "Frankie wanted to be a force." but then it would switch to dialogue and it sounded like it was 1st person.

Other than it being a little bit hard to follow and times this is a book that you should read. It's about a girl named Frankie Landau- Banks who goes to a boarding school called Alabaster. Her sister had been quite popular and most people knew Frankie through her sister Zada. Frankie learns about this secret society called "The Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds" she finds out her boyfriend is part of this society. She thinks that people will like her for her instead of the fact that she’s Zada’s sister if she masterminds the annual basset hound Halloween prank, but... her prank is such a success that she gets carried away and someone turns her in. I'm not going to reveal what the details and ending are but you have to trust me that this is a book worth reading. I would definitely recommend it!



On this date: In 1914, the first electric traffic signal was installed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read and loved both books. Definitely great reads :)
- O. R.