Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Inspirational Laundry


I thought of the perfect title for the new paranormal/romance last night while I was folding laundry. Anyone who knows me knows that this has not been an easy task. Not the laundry. The title. In my notebook I have three pages, two columns each, full of titles. There is another notebook next to my bed for late-night inspiration. I've blogged about my title issues. I've gone through old song titles, Amazon listings and library bookshelves looking for inspiration. And then last night, somewhere between the towels and my son's grubby baseball pants, it hit me - the perfect title.

A lot of the time, that's how writing works. You can sit and stare at the laptop all you like, but the title/character name/plot point will never come. It's like having insomnia. You can lie there and stare at the little digital numbers change as long as you want, but it's not going to help. What does help is doing something to push your conscious mind out of the way so that the real work can get done.

Many writers talk about getting their best ideas in the shower somewhere between rinse and repeat. If I'm stuck, I usually take the dog for a walk (or fold laundry). Gardening, sweeping, even light dusting can all help free up your thinking so that you can reach that elusive 'aha' moment. I don't know if it's brain chemistry or magic, but whatever it is, it usually works.

Next time you're completely stuck, try getting up and doing something else. Don't have enough laundry? Come over and fold some of mine. I have enough inspiration in my hamper for a lengthy trilogy.

On this date: In 1997, Princess Diana dies.

6 comments:

kah said...

Lol. OR you could come over and do my dishes if you need some more ideas. I'd much rather fold your laundry than do dishes. ;)

CJ Omololu said...

Deal, Karen!

Kristi Faith said...

Too bad I can't have Karen's enthusiasm. LOL :) Good post and I needed to hear it. Though I haven't been having ideas at all. Even my characters are not speaking to me, lately. But you're right. It will come.

CJ Omololu said...

You seriously can't force this stuff - it has to come on it's own time. You'll be standing there with shampoo running down your face and all of a sudden your characters will start having a conversation in your head. Rinse off and then go write it all down. Good luck!

Robin Mellom said...

Duuuuuuuude, you must tell me what you came up with!!!
I'm guessing...
In the Fold
Dirty LIttle Paranormals
Fluff and Fantasy

No?

CJ Omololu said...

Robin, you are a genius. I'm coming to you first next time!

You'll have to look for the title in Publisher's Weekly someday ;)