Friday, February 26, 2010

Sequels and New Books


The past couple of days, I've gotten a few emails and tweets from people seeing DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS on the shelves in their local bookstores. They've sent them with a touch of embarrassment, wondering if it was old hat already. Um NO. I LOVE hearing about books in the wild. Photos sent to me give you extra super-duper karma points. Sometimes I don't believe that Lucy is really out there, so it is lovely to have proof that this is all not just a figment of my imagination.

Some readers have called for a sequel to DLS. Sorry to say, but no. As far as I'm concerned, this particular part of Lucy's life is over and it's time for her to move on without me looking over her shoulder. If you read between the lines toward the end, you will see a glimpse into what happens after the back cover closes. Not every book needs a part two, although I adore the fact that readers connect with her so strongly that they want to know more.

With all of the excitement surrounding DLS the past few weeks, some of you who have been hanging around here for awhile may be thinking that I've totally forgotten about my still-untitled WIP. But you would be wrong. Current word count is 60,012 (honestly, I finished yesterday at 59,949 so I tossed a couple of words in there to make it an even sixty) and I'm really loving the new book. The romance is SO much fun, although I go around just a little bit angsty all the time. Unfortunately, I'm about to shatter my main character's world (at least for a while) which has me feeling a little badly. I figure another few weeks and I should have a pretty solid first draft that I'll send to my reading partners and then on to my agent who will send me a ginormous revision letter because that's the way she rolls.

BTW - for those of you on the other side of the ocean, I don't think that DLS is on your local bookshelves (unless someone is selling a used copy) but it IS available on Amazon.com/uk. For just 8 pounds and some change, you can have your very own hardcover. Someday, I might even get over there to sign it for you! Or, send me an email and I'll send you out a signed bookplate.

WIP (still sadly untitled):
Current Word Count: 60,012
Line of the Day: I could feel Griffon's eyes on me as I pulled my hair over my shoulder, which made an innocent gesture feel suddenly intimate.

On this date: In 1928, Fats Domino was born.

5 comments:

Tamika: said...

Love the line of the day! It oozes with seduction.

The1stdaughter said...

Today is the day! I'm heading off to pick up my very own copy of DLS and then I'll tell you if I'm yearning for a sequel that won't be. :o)

As for your WIP, good luck and go pick up lots of chocolate! It's funny how much of an impact fictional characters can have on our lives, but they do (either reading or writing). Here's to hoping you can quickly get through the angsty parts quickly and be on to happier days soon!

CJ Omololu said...

Thanks Tamika - I hope so!

First - thanks so much for reading it and hope you enjoy. It's funny that teens are the ones who request a sequel the most - I think they get more wrapped up in the character. The WIP is going to get darker before it gets better, but at least I know it's going to get better :)

The mad woman behind the blog said...

Swoooooon! Line of the day is all kinds of fun! Can't wait, can't wait!

CJ Omololu said...

Hehehe. V. swoony indeed. Maybe someday soon...