Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Campfire Memories


We just got back from camping. I'm talking sleeping in a tight nylon bag on the ground in a tent with just a flimsy piece of fabric between you and the elements. I've discovered that I don't really like camping much anymore. I think I'm too old to sleep on the ground and not wake up grumbly, even though the Costco mats we had were a huge improvement over the bouncy yet self-deflating air matresses of previous years. I'm too old to enjoy being dirty all the time, no matter how hard you try to scrub stuff off. I'm also too old to put up with a tent city at the next campsite, complete with generator and big, bright spotlight. Wouldn't want the nature to sneak up on anyone after dark. And who were the guys with the satellite dish and big screen monitor? Camping just ain't what it used to be.

Maybe I'm painting too bleak a picture. It was fun sitting with good friends around a glowing campfire and eating more marshmallows than is legal. The kids had a great time, and that's all that matters. Well, they did until the day after we got back.

It's infomercial time. When your oldest son comes down with the most wicked case of poison oak all over his face and neck two days before school starts you'll try pretty much anything. He was so miserable with his puffy face and eyes that wouldn't really open, I was making deals with anyone who'd listen to try to fix him. Went to the doctor for pills and creams and that just seemed to make everything worse. Finally found the miracle that made it go away enough so he could go to school today without feeling like a monster. It's this:



I'm a skeptic and don't believe much of what I read, but this stuff is amazing. $40 a pop and worth every penny. Seriously.

The kids still want to go camping again, and I'm considering it. Not with the generator or satellite dish, but I have to tell you, some of the luxuries are starting to look pretty good. This time next year, you may find me at the campsite, loaded up with marshmallows and throwing another log in the fire.

Just stop by the site with the nice, comfy pop-up camper and say hello.

On this date: In 1939, the first major league baseball game was televised.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't forget that this year we even rented a trailer to throw all our stuff in, as I was tired of trying to stuff every nook and cranny of the car with camping gear. Made it more enjoyable for me.

DH