Thursday, November 20, 2008

Yay Julie!

The day started with my usual perusal of my favorite blogs, and when I got to the famous
Fuse #8 I started jumping up and down. Not only did Ms. Bird feature my friend and crit partner (and cute - Ms. Bird says so herself) Julie Phillipps who just got a copy of her fab new book:



but she posted an image of the cover and all but guaranteed a good review! Julie has a fan in Fuse #8. Yay Julie! I'm so getting a signed copy when this comes out and I suggest that you all do the same. Not only is Julie a great writer, but she does all of her own illustrations - mostly cut paper. Amazing and utterly unfair.

Now that I've been at this awhile, I'm starting to see writer friends around the blogosphere, recognize their books at bookstores and read about them in writerly pubications...which brings me to my next question: When can you say you know someone? It used to be, that it wasn't such a difficult question. You knew when you knew someone, but now, not so clear.

I've decided to redefine knowing as I know it. Posting on someones blog, or having a back and forth in a forum thread does NOT count as knowing someone. Meeting them briefly at a conference or chatting as they sign your book also NOT knowing them (bummer - I don't really KNOW John Green or M.T. Anderson, as much as I'd like to think I do). Even having the same agent doesn't count as knowing someone, although it gets you much closer. Friending them on Facebook is a little fuzzy and has to be defined by your actual real-life relationship.

In my new definition, you can say you know someone when you've exchanged meaningful private emails back and forth. You can know someone without ever meeting them, especially if you are in an online critique group together. Some of my closest friends I've never met as they live on the other side of the country, but we've shared our rawest, roughest first drafts with each other and if that isn't KNOWING someone, then I don't know what is.

All of this isn't really going to help me when I'm in a bookstore with J and he picks up a book and asks if I know the author. Well, kinda...

On this date: In 1962, Jodi Foster was born. I don't KNOW her.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I second (third) Cyn's and Fuse #8's kudos for this book! Julie is incredibly talented, and this is so exciting to see WINK get the recognition it deserves. :-)

Natalie
(who is lucky to "know" both Julie and Cyn via our critique group, although we've never met in person...yet!) :-)