Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tricked By Find And Replace

Some of you may remember my struggles with MS Word's "find and replace" feature in the past. Did I learn? Nooooo.

Sometimes my characters rebel against their given names and I am forced to change them in the manuscript. It happened again last night - apparently Matt wanted to be called Josh, and who am I to argue with him (particularly since he has those dreamy brown eyes)? I went to "Find: Matt" and" Replace with Josh". It did occur to me that there were a lot more replacements than I thought there would be, but I wasn't sure why until I came to the following sentence: "It doesn't Josher," I said, looking at my watch. Yeah, I know. ANY word with "matt" in it got replaced. It took me over an hour to fix it (and I'm still not sure I got them all).

On this date: In 1847, the Donner Party was rescued.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Hey Cynthia....

I just went back and read your email...from the summer...

I saw that you have a blog...I overlooked it the first time.

Mommy dead brain...I know you understand.

Congrats...on finishing your YA...book....

Yeah....
Talk to you soon. Love your blog.

Tracey Huguley
www.traceyhuguley.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

As a Josher of fact, I've done this same thing before...not that this will make you feel any better. Oy.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how much the little things josher?
I did this with the name Ama. Amazing.