Sunday, February 10, 2008

Aha Delirium

I caught some sort of creeping crud from one of the millions of kids that hang out at my house and I feel like garbage. There is an upside, however.

At 2:35 a.m., all doped up on Nyquil and Advil, I was getting up for the seventh time to blow my nose when there was this voice in my head that I immediately recognized as the main character for my new book. All she said was: "She's the mayor, you idiot." Right. How could I have been so stupid? I hadn't even really been concentrating on the mom in the story, but somewhere back there I must have been wondering how to raise her stakes. And now I know - she's the mayor!

The only downside was that at the same time, my brain concocted the most perfect sentence in the world - no need to change it, it was beautiful and held the entire story in a scant few words. I didn't write it down because in my medicinal fog I was sure I'd remember it - it was so perfect, how could I not.? Of course, now I don't even remember what it was about. But, she definitely is the mayor.

Two ounce cups of Nyquil all around!

On this date: In 1992, Alex Haley died.

No comments: