Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tour of The Tower of London

A few weeks ago, I was in London and went back to the Tower to revisit some of the sites that are important to TRANSCENDENCE. If you've read the book,  you know that the book opens with Cole taking a tour of the Tower of London with her sister Kat. There, she has some strange visions that start her on a journey that will change her life. 

This is the view from the Tower Hill tube stop just across the street. Cole has her first vision of the executions on the hill on this spot.

This is a view of the Tower of London from just up the hill. In the 1500s, there would have been a moat all around it where the grass is today. The smell would have been amazing.                                                          

These are some of the living quarters over the main entrance gate. Griffon's dad lives here.

 

Cole comments that it's odd to see all of the historical buildings with the modern glass structures just beyond the walls.  You can see what she means here.



A lot of the warders live on the grounds of the Tower - you can see their homes and the buildings they use for day to day life if you look around. 

  

A view across the main lawn.


A warder giving a tour.

                                                                                

Beauchamp Tower, where all of the prisoner's graffiti is located. Later in the book, Cole has a memory of sitting in the window that you see on the second floor overlooking the execution spot on the Green.


 



This is all prisoner's graffiti that is carved right into the walls.  This last one is the one I used as inspiration for the one that Cole finds on the wall that seems to be important to her.




The view from the window in Beauchamp Tower. You can see the glass memorial on the left hand side by the grass. The actual execution scaffolding would have been built on the right of the photo on the other side of the path.

The glass memorial to the executed.


The entrance to the Crown Jewels.

The Armouries Cafe where Griffon takes Cole to have some tea after she faints.


Axe and executioner's block that were used at the Tower.

 I think visiting sites where a book takes place really makes it come to life. If you ever visit London, make sure to stop by the Tower of London and run your hand over the ancient stone walls. You never know what might happen!



















5 comments:

Daisy Whitney said...

Beautiful! I've never been - love these pics!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaagh! One of my favorite places on earth! My husband had to drag me away!!!! I have that same photo of the Tower from the tube stop; coming up the stairs and seeing it for the first time in real life it took my breath away. We spent half a day there and I could have spent a lifetime. I MUST GO GET YOUR BOOK!!! Thanks for this lovely blog post that took me right back!

(Hmmm... do you think I used enough exclamation points? I'm not sure I conveyed quite enough excitement for you...) :)

Anonymous said...

Aaaaagh! One of my favorite places on earth! My husband had to drag me away!!!! I have that same photo of the Tower from the tube stop; coming up the stairs and seeing it for the first time in real life it took my breath away. We spent half a day there and I could have spent a lifetime. I MUST GO GET YOUR BOOK!!! Thanks for this lovely blog post that took me right back!

(Hmmm... do you think I used enough exclamation points? I'm not sure I conveyed quite enough excitement for you...) :)

Natalie Dias Lorenzi said...

Perfect timing, Cyn, as I'm right in the middle of your book--that part where Cole and Griffon meet up in...well, I won't spoil it for those who haven't yet run out to buy it. Am SO enjoying this story!

CJ Omololu said...

I love the excitement! I really enjoy the Tower of London and the history and it made so much sense to set this part of the book there.

So glad you're liking it Nat!