Thursday, October 14, 2010

The LitChicks-Amigas: Fifteen Candles by Veronica Chambers

I thought high school had her beat, but Liesl came through for us today to recommend one of her favorite reads.

Liesl’s Pick this Week:

AMIGAS: FIFTEEN CANDLES by Veronica Chambers


To be 100% honest I picked this book off the shelf at the library because:

a). I thought that the girl on the front was pretty, and

b). I liked the cover girl’s heart-shaped sunglasses.

But...my not advised judgment was okay. This was a fun book!

A Latina girl named Alicia becomes a summer intern at city hall. She meets a fellow intern named Sarita who is stressing out about her quinceanera. Alicia loves quinces and offers to help. Alicia has a dream of starting a quince planning business and thinks that this would be a great start to the company and good publicity. She recruits the help of her friends , Jamie the hair and makeup artist, Carmen the fashion designer, and Gaz the musician, to help her. With all her enthusiasm and desire to make this the perfect quince, Alicia goes a little overboard and things get rocky. After lots of hard work, the quince turns out to be awesome and Sarita is so happy. A really good book if you like stories about friendship and fun and mild romance. I thought it was a fun read and would definitely recommend it!


On this date: In 1994, Pulp Fiction debuted.

1 comment:

MissA said...

I thought this book was a lot of fun too! I read the first three books in the series and they are all good. I love how it focuses more on friendships and less aboout actual quinceanearas (there are so many books like that) and instead focuses on all the work leading up to the quinceaneara. Eye opening.