Sunday, March 8, 2009

IFly

One of the editors at Asilomar was talking about her "year without fear" - which resulted in a ride on a mechanical bull for her. I liked the concept and have decided to embrace the "year without fear" - to a point. A lot of the time, you go into "Mom-mode" and sit and watch while the kids go down the waterslide or on the roller coaster. I'm not going to go crazy with it, but instead of sitting and watching I'm going to try to get involved and share the experience. Which is how I found myself in a large, plexiglass enclosure hovering about 10 feet in the air on Friday night:



Yes, indoor skydiving. I have to say, it was one of the the coolest things I've ever done. Basically, there is a giant fan below you blowing at speeds up to 200mph. At one point, the instructor went with me and we "flew" up into the chamber, about 30 feet in the air - a little scary, but doable. Plus, I figure it's all research, right? Now I just have to come up with a scene where the characters need to fly and I've got it down. As for real skydiving - uh, it's the year without fear, not the year without brains. Why would I abandon a perfectly good airplane.? But Ifly - we'll definitely be back.







On this date: In 1971, Ali battled Frazier for the heavyweight championship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much FUN!

There's a place like this close to me, too, and I've thought about it. But just thought about it. Maybe . . . .