Wednesday, March 5, 2008

They Took the Walls Too!






So far, although I'm failing to see how this remodel is benefitting me, I have gotten something good out of it. On Sunday, I was using old newspapers to wrap dishes for storage. I don't usually read the paper anymore because I listen to a lot of talk radio and that's about as much news as I can handle. As I was wrapping, an item caught my eye and I stopped to read. It was a bizzare item about a baby in India who had been born prematurely on a train, had fallen through the hole in the toilet and onto the tracks when her mother passed out, and was later found alive on the tracks miles from where the train stopped. An interesting story you say, but how does that relate to children's books? Welllllll.

Sometimes the best ideas fester around in your head from a weird little piece of news. The YA that I'm finishing up was triggered by a magazine article I read on an airplane. This story gave me a good "situational" character - and no it has nothing to do with Indian baby girls. I just started turning angles over in my head and giving it the old "what if". The character is still there and still bouncing around looking for a foothold and a story to go with his situation. The only thing I know for sure is that it is a "he" and it is firmly middle grade. Everything else has to come to me in its own time.

On this date: In 1963, the Hula Hoop was patented.

1 comment:

Miss Awesome said...

I've had a novel 'coming to me' in bits an pieces for about a year now. I figure one day I'll be able to just wake up and start writing. But today is not that day.

Oh your kitchen's going to look so good!!!!