Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Two Sweetest Words

Last night at 11:38, I got to type the most favorite words in any writer's rather extensive vocabulary - The End. Lexi got out of jail, Ezra came through in a pinch, and Caleb...well I can't tell you what happened with Caleb. You'll just have to read it. Yes, I've finished the first draft of my new YA, and it feels great.

So what happens when a writer finishes a novel? I suppose that there is a writer somewhere who knows perfection when they see it and emails the MS directly to their agent. Then they close the laptop with satisfaction and pour themselves a glass of wine. I don't know any writers like that, and if I did, I wouldn't hang out with them much.

Finishing a novel just means that you get a temporary feeling of satisfaction until you get up the next morning and open the file to page one all over again. It now has to be kneaded and pummeled into shape - characters need to be inserted in pivotal moments and your finger needs to be heavy on the delete key. Luckily, I did a lot of revising when I switched from third to first person and my crit group has seen a good portion of it. Now, I just have to go over it all again and send it to my crit buddy (who will be owed a favor of monumental proportions) for an emergency whole-MS critique.

I said I would get it to Agent E by November 9th, and lo and behold, I just might!

On this date: In 1971, Disneyworld opened.

3 comments:

Disco Mermaids said...

Woohoo!! You are now my personal hero. You can crank! Good luck on the next round of shaping.

Robin

Disco Mermaids said...

Two more very cool words:

YOU ROCK!!!

- Jay

CJ Omololu said...

You guys are the wind beneath my wings!