Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The No-Sleepover

Whew! We're back from our 4th grade overnight. It was great, but I'm completely wrecked. We stayed here:







and did everything like it was an 1850's rancho (well, most everything - the grownups cheated with the coffee maker and French Vanilla creamer, but we figured the rancho folks would have used both if they had been invented back then). As you can see, the weather was fabulous, we made candles, baskets, wove yarn, made candle holders and tool boxes and cooked all the food over an open fire kitchen. At night we had a fiesta with a pinata, music and dancing. I don't think I'll get the campfire smell out of my nose for weeks. At night, we stayed in the upstairs part of the adobe here:


(That's my sleeping bag on the lower left.) It was like sleeping in a museum and the kids loved it. If you do the math: 29 4th graders + 14 adults /two loud snorers * 3:15 to 4:30 night watch = no sleep. Nada. Did I mention that it was very cold at night? Still, J wants to be back there more than anything and I think it's going to take a few days to get back to normal.

I just want to go to sleep.

On this date: In 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King is assassinated.

1 comment:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

That sounds like so much fun! What a cool thing to offer kids.