Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Room of My Own!

A lot of you know that I got all crazy over the holidays because we moved for the first time in 12 years. I'll spare you all the gory details, but we got the opportunity to move into a much larger house in the same neighborhood. This house is cool, not only because it's a lot bigger and I finally don't have to share 5 feet of closet space with the DH, or because our good friends live right next door and we share a backyard and subsequently all of the children, but also because I'm getting this:



That's right - my own office! Just a few feet from the back door. Okay, it doesn't look like much now, but give it a month or so. The left hand part is going to be a covered patio with doors on a rail that slide open and the right hand part is going to be my own perfectly tiny space.



The desk over there actually fits right into the little bay window in the front. I'm thinking the back of the space will either have shelves or a big ol' bookcase for the many, many books I seem to mysteriously acquire.













These French doors are going to open right onto a fab patio where I can work 'al fresco' whenever I feel like it.












I never really bought into the whole 'room of one's own' thing until recently. DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS was written partly in my kitchen and partly in a drafty gym waiting for my kid to finish gymnastics. While a person should be able to write wherever they are, a place that is designated for the job, away from the kitchen, the laundry and the little piles of dog hair that I always seem to spot under the piano just when I'm getting into a scene should make me a lot more productive. Or at least take away any last excuse I have not to be.

On Thursday, I'm blogging over at YA Outside the Lines on a subject not that far off of this one - go check it out.

On this date: In 1979, The Dukes of Hazzard premiered.

5 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I love it! Looking forward to seeing it once everything's done.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

omg im so jealous right now.

just popped over to say hi and I was missing you...

CJ Omololu said...

Thanks Caroline - I'll post an update when it's finished.
Shelli! Tell me you're coming to LA again! Can't wait to hang out.

Candace said...

Ooooh, I hope you'll continue to post pictures! That looks like such a fabulous space!

Amy Brecount White said...

Very cool! Congrats. Can't wait to see the finished product. ;-)