Monday, October 13, 2008

A Thousand Words


I was going through some old photos over the weekend, and came across this - one of the favorite photos from my childhood. Not for how great I look (I'm the one in the blue sweatshirt), but for what I remember about it.

It was taken on Cape Cod in 1973. That's my cousin Billy holding the fish, my cousins Laurie and Suzie, my sister and my Uncle Scott in the background (he's the big one). Check out the look of awe on our faces and the look of absolute, positive determination on Billy's.

Billy woke up that morning and decided that he was going to catch a fish. We played, picked blueberries, swam in the pond and jumped off the dock, but he would have nothing to do with it. He had a fish to catch. He sat by the side of the water with his pole all dang day, until we started to tease him about wasting his time. Right as the sun went down and the entire day was wasted, there was a tug on his line and voila, Billy's fish.

I like to think I learned a lot about perseverance that day. I don't remember what happened to the fish - if we ate it, or if it got thrown back - but it sure made a heck of a moment and one heck of a photo.

Here's a shout out to the Billies of the world.

On this date: In 1959, Marie Osmond was born.

No comments: