Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Years Ago

I'm thankful to say that I don't know anyone who died in the Twin Towers or the Pentagon- at that point I'd only been to New York once in my life. I was home in California that day, lying on my four year old's bed playing with him and his one year old brother before we started our day. At an ungodly early hour, my phone rang. My mother. "Turn on the TV," she said. "Just turn on the TV." We went into the livingroom and saw what everyone in the world saw - the first tower on fire. My first thought was to find my stepmother - she's a flight attendant for American Airlines who often flew to New York. She was eventually found safe, but knew several flight attendants who were killed on the planes that day. I don't know what happened to them, but she does. She still won't talk about it.

Although my experience that day was limited to what we all watched on screens, author Meg Cabot has an important and moving blog post about what she saw out her window in NYC that September 11th. Click on the link and check it out even if you do nothing else to remember what happened nine years ago today.

On this date: In 2001, everything changed.

No comments: