Saturday, April 18, 2009

People I Know



The other day I got a great package in the mail - two books by people I actually "know". As a disclaimer, both of these authors are members of my critique group, but even if they weren't, we'd love these books.

Wink, the Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed is totally adorable. It is about Wink, an aspiring ninja who just doesn't get the whole stealth aspect of the ninja lifestyle. Not only is the story great, but the illustrations are amazing. J.C. (Julie for those of us in the know) Phillipps is an artist/illustrator who uses some sort of cut-paper collage for her illustrations (to me it's like magic, and I don't really know how it's done). Many times, when she is submitting a story for us to critique, she'll attach some illustrations that she just ran up at the spur of the moment so we can get an idea of how it will look . These little things are amazing and I couldn't come close to them in a million years. Julie is the type of person who will whip up some incredible Fimo earrings or a fun stuffed animal made out of a fuzzy sweater she happened to have lying around just because she has an hour to kill. If I didn't like her and admire her so much, this much talent would be hard to take.

The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Fairies is an imaginative romp in the forest looking for elusive fairies. It is a combination of illustrations and photography and is a great jumping off point for fun exploration on your own. You can easily go to your own forest/nature space and imagine where fairies might be hiding in your own backyard based on the ideas in the book. Although it might look like more of a "girl" book, my son and I have read it several times and he loves the idea. Author Ammi-Joan Paquette is a woman of many talents, and can write the heck out of a young adult novel as well as writing fun, imaginative picture books.

Both of these books will make a great gift for the young person in your life. They are hot off the presses and will be getting a lot of buzz in the next few months.

On this date: In 1906, the Great San Francisco earthquake.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

YAY Julie and Joan! And for anyone near the Williamsburg/Virginia Beach area, they'll be doing a joint signing at the Barnes and Noble in Colonial Williamsburg on Sunday, May 24th. :-)

Julie_c said...

Thanks Cynthia. I'm blushing. I've ordered Joan's book, but ti hasn't arrived yet and I'll look forward to getting my hands on yours!!!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

My daughter loves the Ninja book :)she wants to take karate now.