Thursday, October 2, 2008

Taking the Plunge



Starting a new book is a lot like diving into a pool that you know is going to be cold. At first, it is a shock to your system, but once you get into the rhythm of it all, it starts to get warmer and easier.

There is a thing in the writing world called NANORIMO (I think I got it right - it stands for National Novel Writing Month). It starts November 1st and the idea is that you get the entire first draft of a book done in a month. I like the idea, but I think the stress would kill me.

I've been putting off actually starting the new book just because once I open a file for it, I have to do 1,000 words per day, even if they're garbage. I decided that October 1st was as good a date as any to start. Until last night at almost midnight when I finally finished my freelance work and started making excuses to myself about why I couldn't possibly start the new book NOW. Heck, it was really late, I was really tired and had had a crazy day what with volunteering, the cross country meet and soccer practice. Guilt (I'm really good at that) finally prevailed, and I opened a new file and started writing. When I closed the computer (yes, it was after 1am) I had a brand spanking new 1,111 words on my story.

I could put pressure on myself and keep a running tally on this blog...but I'm not sure I want to.

On this date: In 1985 Rock Hudson died of AIDS.

No comments: