Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Writer's Best Friend


I love my dog. Not just because he's the Best Dog In The World, but because he is the best writing partner a gal could have. When I'm stuck (like I am now on some elements of my Triplets story) I just roll my eyes toward his leash and we take off for a mind-clearing walk.

Today, I was dragging (okay, it might have been veering into a short bout of depression) over some story lines and other issues, so I called the BDITW and we suited up to go out. Now, walking with the BDITW is always done slowly. It is his duty to stop at every vertical object and dribble exactly three drops of pee. This gives one lots of time to think and stare off into the distance (because if you watch him, he gets annoyed). By the time we'd gotten to the third block I had gotten a pretty good idea, and by the time we rounded the corner toward home I had one of the major problems with the story mapped out. My heart felt lighter and the mood was lifted, all thanks to the BDITW. I wonder what people do who only own cats?

(As a thank you, I went to Costco and bought him a new pack of bully sticks. If you don't know what those are, go here.)

On this date: In 1936, Edward VIII abdicates the British throne to marry Wallis Simpson.

No comments: